Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Disneyland Trip Highlights & Reviews

We went to Disneyland for the Halloween weekend and it was a lot of fun. Unfortunately we were so exhausted from being so busy lately that we had to take four hour naps in the middle of the two days we were there. But the park was open until midnight so it wasn't a really big deal.

Now to review the new Halloween Time additions. They have a new Halloween fireworks show that sucked. The best part is the first two minutes when it's Nightmare Before Christmas themed, but the rest was so lame. The music in the fireworks shows and parades is always so bad, I don't know who's in charge of that department but they need to do something about that.

Also, they themed Space Mountain as "Ghost Galaxy" for Halloween. Wow, it was so awful I can't even describe how shitty it was. They projected these shitty looking ghosts in the dark that I think were supposed to be scary or some shit. It's right up there with when they did Rockin' Space Mountain which was basically Space Mountain with the lights on and some crappy song playing. I swear the ghosts looked like they were from the Mummy ride at Universal Studios.

In terms of other new things, they have a new restaurant in DCA that serves (I guess) Asian food. I think it's about time since they had that huge Chinese restaurant over at the Cannery Row area that just never opened. It's where the Mexican place used to be, and the Mexican place moved over to where the empty Chinese place used to be. Whatever. Anyway, they only serve rice bowls where you basically choose your meat (chicken, beef, tofu) and then your sauce (teriyaki, coconut curry, orange, spicy Korean). I tired a bite of the teriyaki and coconut curry and neither was very good. The sauce was oily and not very flavorful.

Fantasmic also has a new dragon which is a big deal since the last time we saw it they didn't even have a dragon. Wtf?! It was so disappointing when the witch goes up on the platform and...doesn't change into anything. Annoying! And, btw, the dragon was totally on all their posters and stuff for their summer advertising campaign. Anyway, the new dragon is kind of cool, it's really big and it's actually the full dragon's body, which is different than before. But, I don't think I like it as much because it's really robotic looking. It didn't really seem to fit to me. But it breathes fire which is of course the best and most important part.

Also, the Disney Gallery has moved to it's permanent (I think) location on Main Street where the bank used to be. I like that location a lot better than when it was above Pirates of the Caribbean because it's a lot easier to move around in there and it's actually open all the time. I think we had the most notable experience of the trip there. We bought a giclee print of one of Shag's Haunted Mansion paintings called Ghoulish Delights. I really like his Haunted Mansion stuff, it's as good as when he did the Tiki Room stuff, if not better. Anyway, they had two different giclee prints available, and we had a hard time deciding but eventually went with Ghoulish Delights (the red one below). Do you think we made the right decision? It comes with a really cool frame and I can't wait to get it in the mail later this week. Anyway, it was cool because we had a 20% off coupon from renewing our Annual Passes and a shitload of Disney Rewards points that we get from our Disney Visa, so we didn't have to pay any of our own cash for it. But, what I really wanted to mention is how completely inept the staff at the Disney Gallery is. I mean, really some of the lamest people I've ever seen and some of the worst service I've ever received. I think we spent at least 30 minutes just in the checkout process and the employees there clearly had no idea of what the hell was going on.

So, not the best review of Halloween Time but we still had a great time. We're going back later this month for Thanksgiving weekend, that will be fun.


2 comments:

  1. first of all this is a really good review. also i am glad that the gallery has moved to main street, that is much better. the red print is far superior to the elevator print and it's great that it comes framed too. as for the tiki print,we ended up unloading ours on my brother because A was sick of "2 much disney in the house." i'm glad we spent a small fortune on it and literally had to run to get it after eating mc'ds b-fast biscuits with maple syrup baked into em (barfs). M may have been there. i personally didn't think we had too much disney but whatever. if it's cool there can never be too much, i think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The print came today and I feel better because now I'm sure we made the right choice. I love it! Also, I forgot to mention it in my review because they had them the last time we were there, but they are now offering a larger size soda option, which I think is long overdue. Before you could only get one size so we always had to get two which gets expensive. Now that they have the larger size we can share and it's only like $3.25 or something. That's one of the best improvements lately I think.

    ReplyDelete